Friday, July 15, 2005

Sudden Doom (and Cereal)

You could say I enjoy routine. I’d rather you not say it, though, because it makes me sound boring – like the “We really shouldn’t be doing this…” girl in teenage-joytrip movies. I promise I’m not Page Hannah in Shag, but I guess I’m not Bridget Fonda, either. I wouldn’t perform a public strip-tease to the tune of “Way Down South in Dixie,” but I’d consider giving my number to Jimmy Valentine. Maybe I’m Phoebe Cates. (Of course, if you haven’t seen Shag, none of this makes sense. Rather than change my metaphor, I’ll let you rent the movie. It’s a classic.)

My mornings in Honesdale all started roughly the same way. Wake up at 6:18; stumble to the computer; select an upbeat number from iTunes (such as “Stayin’ Alive” or “Ob-la-di, Ob-la-dah”); hum along and scan e-mail. Then, shower; dress; pay my dues to Clinique and Neutrogena; pour Grape Nuts. Always Grape Nuts? Well, 90% of the time. I got on a Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch kick for awhile, but the guilt nearly wrecked me. My parents instilled me with a reverence for dietary fiber, and I regarded the Cap’n as one might consider a jaunty drug dealer. In the end, I just said no.

I’ve tried to keep most of the routine since arriving in Murfreesboro. I sleep a lot later – so I don’t need the wake-up music. But the Hewlett Packard is still my first stop after rolling back the covers. I like to imagine that the man of my dreams has emailed me overnight, having noticed me in the cereal aisle at Kroger and asked around town for my name. He needs me to log onto IM immediately, so we can arrange a getaway in his private hot-air balloon, which will launch to the tune of “Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.”

And to think….he planned all of this while I slept!

This morning I found a note taped to my HP monitor: “You need to unhook your computer. It’s sick ☹ Mom” Had I been a cartoon character, a little exclamation point would have sprung over my head. Sick? Like, head-cold sick? Or one of those Oregon Trail diseases that ensured instant death? With a trembling finger, I powered my hard drive. Just as I feared: call off the journey West. My computer has dysentery.

I’m not a computer techie by anyone’s definition, but I know the BSOD. That’s Blue Screen of Death. RIP, HP. My first thought was: God, I’ve lost all of my MP3s. Second thought: God, please don’t make me face the HP support staff. I set a high priority on avoiding situations where I might feel moronic, and talking to tech support always shakes my IQ.

No offense to my computer-savvy friends, but I believe every IT department houses at least one Nick Burns. You know, the Jimmy Fallon tech support character on SNL: “He’ll fix your computer, then he’ll make fun of you.” As the BSOD flicked on and off, I could hear Nick Burns’ dry laughter, “You ignored the Norton Bloodhound message? And you didn’t install a pop-up blocker? Did you say you’re a Ph.D. candidate? At which school…the school of the technologically retarded? Ha ha ha.”

I had to give myself a little pep talk: you’re a good person with a bad computer….use those karate skills….fight or flight! Eye of the tiger! Float like a butterfly, whatever.

Half an hour later, I turned my hard drive over to C&C Computers. I then retreated to Barnes and Noble, where I impulsively spent $75.00 (Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down; Tom Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons; Paul Feig's Superstud: Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin). If I’m gonna break routine, I’m gonna go all the way. Cue “Dixie.”

* P.S.: I’m now writing from Dad’s computer, on which I can't figure out how to create italics, check spelling, or change font. Don't laugh at me. If all goes well, I’ll see you again from my HP in a week. In the meantime, I’m off to California on a family vacation. Westward, ho! (Whatever “ho” means in that context.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just finished I am Charlotte... About to start the Hornby book. Would love to hear your comments. Everyone around here thinks I am Charlotte was written about Duke. Have fun on vacation! -A

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we were growing up my sister and I were obsessed with Shag--we used to always say that she was the Carson and I was the Melaina in our family. And our cousin who always ratted us out was Lou Anne.

But Pudge is the most adventurous of any of them, isn't she? The only one brave enough to give away her heart, take a sex quiz on the beach with her crush and win a dance contest?? Have considered being Pudge?

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

True, true...but Phoebe Cates has the good girl/bad girl thing, which seems exciting. Still, Pudge has the most fun (I think), and she gets to romance that guy with the aviator-style glasses in "Mystic Pizza."

Amy, I'm only 30 pages into Wolfe's book, but "Dupont as Duke" makes sense. Basketball craziness, fratties, North Carolina. It definitely isn't Wellesley.

Hello from CA!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually confused (or was confused as I was reading). I am nearly positive that Dupont is in PA (though I didn't think this until halfway through). If you listen to his description (a ten hour drive through the mountains, the mentioning of PA, the drive to DC, etc.) I started thinking it wasn't in NC. Anyway, Wolfe did his research around here (Chapel Hill/Durham) I am led to believe it was actually more a combo of the two, there's a lot of familiarity between what I read and what I know about these schools. The book is, according to some reviewers, a nearly historical account of college in the 90's, early 00's. I atually didn't find it too similar but then again I went to a small liberal arts school. Hope you're having fun in CA! -A

9:37 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Hmmmm...yeah, I think you're right. Charlotte is from NC, but Dupont is somewhere else.

Feig's book is lots of fun, if you want a quick read. He directed a couple episodes of "Arrested Development" and wrote "Freaks and Geeks."

12:44 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ugh... sorry about the computer woes - that sucks. I wholly concur with the whole computer support employee description too. SNL pretty much nailed it, I'm ashamed to admit. Many of us are terrible social misfits and come across with varying degrees of arrogance. I actually will borrow from the skit every so often... Most notably, when someone calls for help and I either don't like them or their request is absurd (what's a Caps Lock?) I have been known to simply say, "MOOOVE!"

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

I do know the Caps Lock, but I haven't quite mastered the art of force-quitting. I'm more than happy to MOVE.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ctrl+Alt+Del. The Windows Task Manager will pop up. Click on the applications tab at the top and in the box below you'll see all the programs you're currently running. Highlight the one you want to shut down and hit the 'End Task' button. Sometimes it will just shut down the program - other times a box will pop up that says "The program is not responding' or some jazz like that. If that box pops up hit the 'End Now' button - the program should shut down.

If you want to force shut down the entire computer just press and hold down the power button, but I don't recommend that. Bad things often happen as a result. You may be seated.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

I guess yanking the power strip out of the wall is a bad idea, then?

Muchas gracias -- my IQ and ego still feel relatively stable.

PS: No news from C&C on the computer. A eulogy may be posted later.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home