Sunday, June 26, 2005

Bottoms Up

I don’t think it’s fair to characterize me as a “glass half empty” or “glass half full” person. Most of the time, I drink too quickly to see what’s in the glass.

I’ve always been a “fast drinker,” literally -- the kind of girl who exhausts the water-refill guy at restaurants. You might think this would make me lots of fun at parties, but those of you who’ve seen me at parties know the frontal lobe-pickling drill: drink, drink, drink, flirt and/or make incoherent “observant” comments (ex: “Alanis wrote ‘You Oughta Know‘ about Dave Coulier! Uncle Joey! The Woody Woodchuck guy!”), fall asleep. No need to worry about me in New Orleans. Well, as long as I fall asleep in my own apartment.

As my Honesdale stint winds down, I’m realizing that I may be a “fast drinker” in the metaphorical sense, too. My teaching career ended in a flurry of pink disciplinary slips and check-marked report cards. Couldn’t wait to load “road trip mix” CDs into Andie Acura and hit I-24. Once I got here, I couldn’t wait to start my job at Highlights. Of course, after the job started, I couldn’t wait for Friday. Then, I anticipated specific Fridays. Long weekends, the circus, etc. And now, 50 or so Fridays later, it’s all over.

I feel like I carped a few too many diems.

This isn’t a cautionary tale. Anticipation is part of human nature, I think. We must “look forward,” if to avoid the cubicle walls on either side.

The summer I worked retail in Cambridge, one of my counter-mates was a 40ish, graying woman with a Brandeis degree and a heap of unpaid loans and medical bills. I suspected she had a few mental tics, but we enjoyed chatting about the latest Julia Roberts flick or comically “impossible” customer.

We both hated the job. Really hated it. What’s to like about standing up for nine hours (minus a closely monitored lunch break), straightening sweatshirts and price checking Harvard ashtrays?

I didn’t much want to talk about senior-year plans with my co-worker. It seemed at best impolite, and at worst unforgivably bratty, to describe course selection and kickoff par-tays, when she marked time by the punch-card. But she kept the questions coming: what professors would I have? How would I decorate my dorm single? What would I do for fall break?

I joked about the impossibility of scoring dates at the Tower Court “meat market,” but she convinced me that I’d be engaged by the end of the semester. “You’ll find someone, too,” I said. She lived alone, went to the movies alone (like I did). “Not likely,” she smiled, straightening the shirt on a “I *heart* Harvard” bear. “But, hey” (I still remember her saying) “Hope springs eternal, I guess.”

I don’t know what happened to my co-worker -- I’m not going to mention her by name, because I’m afraid you’ll go to the Harvard bookstore, and she’ll still be working there. I hope I’m wrong. Hope she was a “fast drinker” with a higher-paying, full-benefits job ahead. Hope does spring eternal, and I’m glad. Anxious, tearful, cranky….but glad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also a literal fast drinker (though hold the liquor). I like to imagine doing something but then as time gets closer I am paralyzed by change. I'd prefer things always stayed as they were... To stay a kid who read truck books and played cabbage patch dolls; to read chapter books and dance; to govern in SGA and study for AP exams; to attend Circle K meetings and spend most days around the fountain; to stay in Sud de La France for baguettes/brie and daily shopping excursion; to talk with roommates on the back porch and try D's maragritas...

It's amazing I'm not still two sitting in a stroller with all my hatred for change. It's amazing I left the Delta; it will be equally amazing if I leave the big T. But I think I've realized that if I don't change everything else does. And really I think that's what I dread more than staying the same.

Sometimes it's too easy not to change. I imagine your counter-mate probably just couldn't get up the urge to change. Monthly T puts out a mag for the small peeps (me included, though I like to make myself feel vastly more important) and I always scan the back. The last few pages highlight anniversaries. No matter what, there is always a person who has reached 35 years as a cashier or a cart attendant or even a department team leader and has always held that position. Really, I usually just end up feeling depressed thinking about what it must be like to scan groceries eight hours a day several days a week or collect carts through four seasons or push re-shop 10 nights a month. I can't imagine that these people are so inadequate that they can't change or get promoted so I imagine they just afraid of change. I don't want to be like this. I want to carpe my diems with a focus on the 'diems' and not the 'carpes'. But we need the 'carpes' and the 'carpes' always involve change.

Peace out, yo! -A

12:40 AM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Fo' shizzle, you're right. I've been told that most people prefer changelessness to happiness. It's risky to "carpe" -- doesn't always pay off. Still, to quote my favorite movie: a life lived in fear is a life half lived.

Trying to follow my own "advice" this week....

Peace out.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home