Monday, June 27, 2005

If I Met My Neuroses (An Ode to Anxiety)

If I met my neuroses, I think we would be friends.
We have such common interests, like my leg hair and split ends
And whether that last carb I ate landed on my hips
And how much I should edit lines before they cross my lips.
We both like ruminating on the future close at hand
Thinking “What if every detail doesn’t go just as I planned?”
We wonder if boys like us, and if they do, how much?
Then we think that’s silly, and perhaps love’s just a crutch.
We wish that we were louder and more prone to speak our mind
But then, we must both wonder -- can’t we be more prose-inclined?
We both could stand to know more, about God and books and money
We find each other’s inside jokes ridiculously funny.
In fact, the notion makes me smile….a meeting, face-to-face
Come on in, neuroses! You’re welcome at my place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am my own best friend....

9:47 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

I don't know about "best friend." We're a little too much alike. I think we'd drive each other crazy after awhile.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home