Friday, July 08, 2005

Memo

To: You
From: Me

Greetings from the laundry room of my parents’ house, where I will be hiding until further notice. Hero’s welcome to Tennessee has morphed into a duck-and-cover, a la Harrison Ford in The Fugitive (but with less gore and more dirty socks). Cause for distress? Two SWMs, aged 22 years and 32 years, who’ve taken residence.

Okay, technically they’re remodeling the guest bedroom, but you’re missing the point. They’re right here. In the house. Close range. They see me when I stumble in from a 4-mile run, huffing and sweaty. They see me eating spaghetti sauce with a spoon directly from the fridge. They see me digging through laundry in my bedroom, looking for a clean pair of shorts. They’re always watching. Please send back-up, asap (and maybe a sexier pair of shorts, too).

I’m not usually this paranoid about the opposite sex (or, as we called them in college, um, "them"). I even have a few male friends, though none are single and/or straight. I should probably add this tiny detail to help you understand the urgency of my situation. It’s small but significant. Really, I shouldn’t mention it at all, because there could be children present – and parents, too. Jeez. Well, one could say that I have a history with the 22-year-old SWM. Specifically, you could define "history" as "one night." Or, if you prefer, "the one night I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea, in addition to several shots." That’s all the info you need, I think. S.O.S.

More from me later. I hear footsteps.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness gracious. You leave me here in this Godforsaken land (or, at any rate, hot-boys-forsaken land) and immediately start living a Danielle Steele novel.

I love it.

-M

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Ah, but you have Floppy-Haired Goth Boy. These house remodeling kids are fun eye-candy, but I doubt they can make a good chai.

If I find the misanthrope bartender here, I'll give him your number.

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Floppy-Haired Goth Boy (now shaved-head goth boy) is 18. But the boy makes a damn good chai. And as chai is the single most satisfying physical experience I have in a typical day, I guess we do have a special relationship.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home