Wednesday, June 15, 2005

He's Baaaaaaack....

….and he’s watching you with his animatronic eyes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/adweek/20050614/ad_bpiaw/teddyruxpinmakeshisreturn

(This, courtesy of my Dear Friend Who Loves Coldpay, but also Barbie and the Rockers.)

Enough, I say. Enough resurrecting toys from the ‘80s. I was fine with Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Dolls, Smurfs, Muppet Babies, Strawberry Shortcake, Transformers, even the Ninja Turtles. But Teddy Ruxpin? He’s creepy.

Though he served me well in ‘87, when a friend and I used him to scare intruders. Really, there weren’t any intruders -- only my mom, approaching my friend’s front door at a shadowy distance. We thought she might be a kidnapper (too much “Miami Vice”-watching), so we shoved a cassette in Teddy Ruxpin and hid behind the couch. Spooky automated voice, shifty eyes….TR was as good as a mutated German shepherd.

Even more disturbing to me than the planned Ruxpin craze is AdStore’s notion to “target parents who will remember Teddy from their childhoods.” I was born in 1980, so I represent the oldest of the ‘80s “parents.” And I’m 24. So, now I’m supposed to be married and a mom? Teddy, please claw me out of my misery.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The My Buddies used to scare me. I never had a TR because it is really hard to snuggle with animated, cassette stuffed objects. I refuse to have children at this age though I did find myself at Christmas time commenting to parents (definately older than 24) about how I played that same game just 15-20 years ago. Strange... It makes you feel old when they resurrect 'vintage' games. Oh well, I'm nearly a quarter of a century. Jesse, I believe you already are. Better don your mu-mu and make nice with the kitties (but never your cat!) because you are officially, according to this article, an old maid.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

It's not nice to call people "old maids" anonymously....

Too bad My Buddy flopped. It was a nice concept, in the "William has a doll" sort of way. Catchy tune, too.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you believe that I still remember the "My Buddy" jingle?

"My Buddy, My Buddy,
Wherever he goes, I'll go to
My Buddy, My Buddy,
My Buddy and me!"

"Kid Sister, Kid Sister,
Wherever she goes, I'll go to
Kid Sister, Kid Sister,
Kid Sister and me!"

-HTS

10:17 AM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Jem, Jem, she's truly outrageous.
Jem is my name
No one else is the same
Jem!

Loved the Jem doll. I was once propositioned by a guy with a blinking earring, but it wasn't the same.

While we're on the subject of '80s fun, I want to settle, once and for all, the Foofur issue. Foofur DOES exist:

http://www.80scartoons.net/toons/foofur.html

I hope everyone believes me now.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a secret crush on the Snuggle Bear when I was a child.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Okay, you anonymous post folks... show yer faces! Show yer bloody faces!

I know, you're just scared of my roundhouse.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home