Thursday, June 09, 2005

Drop It Like It's Hot. Or Don't. Whatever.

All the peeps without air conditioning, throw your hands up at me!

The hottest I’ve ever been was summer of ‘01. That’s the summer I spent living in an (un-a/ced) attic apartment in Cambridge, MA. By day, I sold Harvard shot glasses to Japanese businessmen. By night, I stared at the slanted ceiling and sweated.

That summer, my beta fish Henry met a slow death when the water evaporated from his bowl. I didn’t notice the level getting lower until it was too late. Thereafter, I returned to pesce-vegetarianism, because I figured if I’m ruthless enough to suffocate a fish, I’m ruthless enough to fry it up. With my karma, I’ll be reincarnated as a tuna.

Honesdale tricked me with its seasons. I arrived in September, when the trees were beginning to shed. By late October, we had snow flurries, and I cranked my heat to 75. On the day of the first real snow, sometime in early November, I played Harry Connick Jr.’s “Let It Snow” five times in a row and put an extra blanket on my bed.

Four months of intense winter followed.

But I was prepared -- this is the North, after all. My red Victoria’s Secret sweater didn’t look too bulky, and it went well with my tall, black boots. Snow angels? Hot chocolate? Bring it on.

Spring lasted about two days. One May afternoon, I took my manuscripts outdoors and let the blossoming crab apple trees shower all over me. I pretended I was in the wedding scene from Sense and Sensibility. Tree branches arching as swords overhead, pink petals floating like confetti. Oh, Colonel Brandon! Isn’t life marvelous? Aren’t we lucky?

Scene change. Now, I’m in Freddy Goes to Hell.

And I do feel Kreuger-esque, with my make-up melting in the humidity as I snarl at passersby. This evening I searched online for psychology studies linking heat and aggression. I recalled from a social psych course that the two variables are connected somehow. The Los Angeles race riots occurred in the summertime, as did the O.J. Simpson car chase. Could be coincidental, but a few studies indicate significant correlation between a high violent crime rate and high temperatures. These are a couple of the sites I browsed:

http://www.driesen.com/temperature_and_violence.htm
http://www.anger-management.net/angerpage.htm

Did I demolish the punching bag at karate tonight? No. I was too hot. For me, the weather is merely bringing apathy and lack of motivation. I only have enough energy to sweat.

Which is why I’m ending this essay now. I’m going to stick my head in the fridge.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Then again, I'd prefer this to Moody Towers. Brrrr.

When I instructed the people without a/c to "throw your hands up," I mean only if you're wearing deodorant.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't experienced real heat until you've experienced Houston, Texas. An anecdote:

We met D.'s parents in Houston on a weekend in August, and brought along our little black dog, Vivian. We went to a restaurant for lunch that had this outdoor patio area, which was necessary since we had the dog with us. But it was over a hundred degrees outside, and even under a shaded canopy with fans and an iced tea, we were all melting. So we decided to go inside and leave the dog tethered outside in the shade.

I was eating greasy fish and chips when I looked up to check on Vivian and noticed that she had taken an absolutely enormous dump by the entrance to the restaurant, and as she was agitated, she was prancing around in it. So I grabbed some bar napkins and tried to scoop it up. I looked around for a trashcan and there was NO TRASH CAN at all. None. I looked up and down the sidewalk. Nothing.

So there I was, the hottest day you can imagine, my dog next to me reeking of poo and my hand grasping poo-filled bar napkins. I considered bringing the poo to the trashcan inside the restaurant, but decided not to subject everyone inside to that. I looked around and finally spotted a weeded, overgrown corner to the right of the resaurant. In desperation to get this hot, steamy poo out of my hands on this disgusting day, I tossed it into the corner, and some bar napkins went with it. "There," I thought. "No one will discover THAT hiding place!"

One of the waitresses then decided she needed to hose down the area where the dog had poo'd. And guess where the hose was located? In the grassy corner. She turned her back for a moment to pet my dog, and in another moment of desperation, I tried to grab the poo-filled bar napkins and dispose of the evidence, getting all of my hands covered.

You haven't experienced real heat until you've been covered in dog poo in August in Houston.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Always knew you were a dirty girl.

Truly, that's disgusting. Maybe you and D. should've gone for hermit crabs?

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home