Sunday, July 01, 2007

Briefly Noted

This morning's headline on nytimes.com is:

Hong Kong Marks a Decade Since Handover

(Referring to HK's return by Britain to Chinese rule)

In my pre-caffeinated state, I read it as:

Hong Kong Marks a Decade Since Hangover

Well, drink up, then!

As a longtime journalist, my dad has a few good stories about headline flubs. My favorite is the fatal mix-up of "weds" and "wets," in reference to the nuptials of a public figure's daughter. "Gentleman Lawyer We..."

I'll leave it to your imagination. (Or Dad's comment!)

On an unrelated, but very important, "note"--happy 80th birthday to my granddad (who doesn't read this blog, I rather hope). He's the second best-looking octogenarian on the Internet. Take a look at his recent ad for Elliott's Hardware. Also click on "Departments" and "Hardware Plus."

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Excellent! My favorite bad headlines are also too dirty minded to mention here, but here's two that are still worthy of a chuckle:

"Police begin campaign to run down jaywalkers."

"Prostitutes appeal to Pope."

Come to think of it, the 2nd one might be a little too risque. Ah well... what's done is done.

Bye!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't send this to Granddad, but he would like the fact that you mentioned him! :-)

10:26 PM  
Blogger J-Dog said...

I'm an aquarius and I'm a loner. :/

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home