Monday, October 08, 2007

Ode To My First Day In A New Job, In A New City*

I cannot go to work today
There’s too much Scrabulous to play,
Clothes to buy,
New ‘dos to try,
And bills I should pretend to pay.

Plus, I think my car won’t start
My brand-new shoes have come apart
See? My toe is poking through....
Work, today, I cannot do!

My favorite show comes on at 3,
And Netflix sent a DVD.
It’s obvious I have to stay!
The houseplant wilts when I’m away.

The server crashed, and--what?
What’s that you say?
You say today’s....Columbus Day?
As in....it’s a paid holiday?

Hm! I thought that’s what you said!
Goodbye, I’m going back to bed.


* apologies to the great Shel Silverstein

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

No fair! No fair! I have to work!
I've duties that I'd rather shirk!
Instead, I must sit here and weep
For all my unrequited sleep.
But still I'm glad I've found the time,
To read your poem full of rhymes.
Inspiration came right quick,
and next time I'll just call in sick.

12:39 PM  
Blogger J-Dog said...

Yeah, I agree. No fair! LOL :)

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you are a poet
and don't know it!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your feet are long fellows

4:30 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Okay, peanut gallery!

JMR, I'm anxious for another long weekend so maybe we can have a reunion. It has been too long since my Chicago trip.

Eric, I'll take you out for tonight's meal,
To make up for your lousy deal.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wait, what new city?? Why haven't you rhymed about this previously?

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home