Sunday, January 21, 2007

Who Dat?

It could have been a great showdown.

If the Saints had marched in, Super Bowl XLI might’ve hailed Battle of the Blogs I: New England vs. NOLA. I blame the snow. Cold, white stuff is foreign matter here, and it makes us stop and look. It’s cruel to take our football while our heads are turned. Who are you, Chicago? Lucy from Peanuts?

It’s okay, Drew and Reggie. I was distracted, too. Football hasn’t held my attention since Super Bowl XXXVIII -- and I only focused on that game when someone at our Honesdale party yelled, “Woah! Is that her boob?”

But this time, I cared. Nevermind I don’t know a fullback from a backpack. NOLA needed me. If you haven’t noticed, things have been rough in my city lately. N’Awliners are becoming experts at uniting against -- against crime, bureaucratic neglect, stormy weather. The Saints provided a good “for.” Next year, gentlemen.

In the meantime, I’ll throw my “who dat” to the Patriots, since my may-un favors them. Who dat! The full version of this NOLA war cry, according to Wikipedia, is “Who dat? Who dat say they gonna beat dem Saints?” Apparently, the chant originated “in minstrel shows and vaudeville acts of the late 1800s and early 1900s,” though Wikipedia adds that it was “adopted by New Orleans public schools in the 1960s.” Er, let’s keep that last bit of information on the down-low, shall we?

“What’s the New England football catchphrase?” I asked Murky on IM this afternoon. He couldn’t come up with any, so I hospitably typed a few. “WICKED GOOD,” I offered. No smiling emoticons. If silence is stony, M. Words was Plymouth Rock. “HAVAAD YAAHD!” What about that? Click and Clack would have chuckled. “LOBSTA LOBSTA!!” I cheered. Finally, a response. “Not bad.” Granted, LOBSTA is more Maine than Boston, but it’s fun to say.

So, here in the fourth quarter of the Patriots vs. Colts game, I shake my gold and black beads and yell “LOBSTA LOBSTA!” Just don't tell Peyton.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

How does this catchphrase sound?

"This Super Bowl SUCKS!"

Actually, I'm somewhat happy for the Colts. As a long time Red Sox fan I know what it's like to finally feel victory against your archrival after so many bitter defeats - and if anyone was deserving in the football world, it was them. While I care substantially less about the upcoming contest, I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts take it all.

As for your post, I can only quote those old Bartles & Jaymes commercials and say, "Thank YOU for your support."

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who dat cat in de fust row
who dat cat who say
an't no snow
whas that cat doin in
Chicago
who dat cat

uhhhh
that's all I can think of...

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Oooh...better be careful...them's fightin' words to some people...

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Volbak, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me!
If by "can't win the big ones" you mean three Super Bowls, then yeah, Tom Brady can't win the big ones :)

9:20 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Oops...I have it on rather good authority that volbak's comments were meant in irony. Because sportscasters are always saying "____ can't win the big ones," and finally Tom Brady didn't. But historically he does. Anyway, let's all have one GM group hug! Ah...I feel better.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, we're a little punchy up here in Boston. As for the Super Bowl, well, "go team!"

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home