Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I'm Doomed. How Are You?

According to Mrs. Luc, I am doomed.

And Mrs. Luc knows what she’s talking about. In addition to being my 86-year-old neighbor here in New Orleans, she was a New Orleans tour guide for over 40 years. She’s done all the tours -- plantation tours, seaport tours, downtown tours, city tours. “You can’t be a tour guide if you don’t like people,” Mrs. Luc told me. I guess I’ll never be a tour guide. (Only joking. I do like you, at least.)

Mrs. Luc has seen thousands of Hawaiian shirts, I bet. Hundreds of straw hats and fanny packs. She has also seen a lot of change. I’m using both definitions: “change” as in “foreign and domestic coins,” and “transformation.”

It’s this latter definition of “change” that means trouble for me.

You see, dear, New Orleans isn’t what it used to be. When Mrs. Luc was my age, she could leave her door unlocked at night. The next morning, she might find a plate of brownies on her kitchen ledge -- made from scratch, of course, none of this Betty Crocker hocus pocus.

Also, she felt perfectly safe walking alone at night in our neighborhood. Mrs. Luc still walks several miles each day, but she’s careful to avoid certain streets. You can probably guess the pigmentation of people who live on these streets, sure as you can measure the meringue on the lemon pie Mrs. Luc delivered to my apartment.

“Keep your doors locked at all times,” Mrs. Luc directed. “And have some pie.”

Mrs. Luc does not eat pie (or drink), because she’s watching her figure. “You’ll gain weight living here,” she explained. “My grandson gained five pounds just visiting.”

If I get chunky, I’ll stand even less chance of finding a husband in this town. Things have definitely changed since Mrs. Luc was a 20-something. Women are waiting longer to get married. Or they think they’re waiting to get married. Really, they’re waiting for a long, lonely spinsterhood. “It’s getting late for you,” Mrs. Luc smiled. “Pretty soon you’ll be left with nothing but gays and mama’s boys.” Pass the pie.

Whether I’ll die fat and alone, at the mercy of non-white burglars, remains to be seen. At the moment, I can only report short-term tragedies: the sudden collapse of my iPod and subsequent loss of a 1,200-song index; the intermittent power failures wracking my little 2/br, 1/ba; and the death of Connick, my more cheerful hermit crab. Evidence suggests Connick died in his sleep, not in a street gang tussle. But I’m locking the aquarium, just to be safe.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs for Jesse. It gets better, I swear. I did it last year, not in the NO of course, and I'm still here. I wish I could offer advice for meeting people but, uh yeah, we've been over the stupid way I did that. Good Luck, hope the trolley was exciting! -A

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your little crab. RIP.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Thanks. And hugs to you, A. In lieu of a wake for Connick, we had a ceremonial flushing.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before Bush was elected, hermit crabs seemingly lived forever.

Volbak

6:17 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

damn good blog, check out mine http://www.murkywords.com, comments always welcome!

Sorry... couldn't resist. Did you delete the earlier spam comment or something? Every time I try to delete a comment it always leaves a message that says "Comment deleted by author" or something like that thereby defeating the purpose of deleting in the first place and making me look like a fascist censor. Grrr..

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jesse Anna Bornemann said...

Hey, it's more than a "damn good" blog. It's a frickin' FANTASTIC blog!

Heh.

Stupid spammers.

Yeah, I managed to delete the offending comment. I went to my control panel and hit "delete" with a checkmark next to "permanent," or something.

And I'm not gonna look at mckayla31chester's blog EVER. So there.

11:39 PM  
Blogger K said...

Speaking of New Orleans . . . please post an entry as soon as possible so that Gofus Musings readers everywhere know you have reached high ground.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home